Category:Battle of Liberty Place monument
19th century "White Leage" monument, first erected in 1891 commemorating a victory in a battle/riot by "White" supremist group over integrated Reconstruction government in 1874. Formerly on Canal Street. In mid 20th century a plaque was added noting the racist notions commemorated by the monument were no longer supported by the city, and in the late 20th century the monument was moved to this less conspicuous location, in back of Canal Place building. The monument has been a frequent target of vandalism and there have been repeated calls for it to be dismantled or moved to a museum.
Media in category "Battle of Liberty Place monument"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.