Category:Be Here: Main Street
Part of the MuseWeb Foundation’s larger "Be Here" initiative, "Be Here: Main Street" is a partnership with the Smithsonian Institution and its Museum on Main Street program, which brings Smithsonian traveling exhibitions to small towns across the United States and its territories. The goals of "Be Here: Main Street" are not only to collect rich stories about America’s towns and waterways but also to connect people, businesses, communities, and cultural institutions through storytelling.
MuseWeb and its partners at the Museum on Main Street program believe that everyone has a story that’s worth sharing—whether that story is about a cherished waterway, a local landmark or business, a popular park, an engaging museum, a little-known cultural site, or a beloved natural resource. These rarely heard stories are likely to capture a “history” of small-town America based on experience, knowledge, and memory rather than simple dates and facts. In this way, the published stories offer people a rare and authentic glimpse into the history, traditions, and culture of a community.
One story-collecting effort focuses on water–America’s lakes, rivers, streams, etc. The theme coincides with the current Smithsonian Institution traveling exhibition Water/Ways, which is now on view in several states. The pilot program will be working with communities specifically in Minnesota and Alabama. Other previously collected stories include those about food traditions, local sports, work history, immigration and journeys, and stories about life in America’s small towns. Find stories from this project on SoundCloud, using the hashtag #bHereMainSt.
Media in category "Be Here: Main Street"
The following 32 files are in this category, out of 32 total.
- 4th Graders Talk About Sports.wav 1 min 30 s; 7.58 MB
- 4th of July Parades in Weirton, WV.wav 1 min 11 s; 6 MB
- A Kid Chats About Living in Small-town America.wav 39 s; 6.64 MB
- A Sense of Small-town Community in Tyler, Texas.wav 1 min 11 s; 5.99 MB
- Being a Telephone Operator in Chanute, Kansas.wav 43 s; 3.59 MB
- Boot Sculpture in Red Wing, Minnesota.jpg 4,697 × 2,979; 8.51 MB
- First Job--Being a Newspaper Inserter in Waterboro, Maine.wav 1 min 8 s; 5.75 MB
- First Jobs and Earning Pennies for the Theater.wav 1 min 13 s; 6.15 MB
- Girl Scout Bench in Lanesboro, Minnesota.jpg 3,771 × 2,387; 5.2 MB
- Homesteading in Northeastern Wyoming.wav 1 min 22 s; 6.93 MB
- Immigrating from China into California.wav 51 s; 4.29 MB
- Immigrating from Germany to Northern Michigan.wav 1 min 30 s; 7.58 MB
- Kid's Perspective on Eagle River, Alaska.wav 1 min 30 s; 7.57 MB
- Kindness and Caring in Temple, New Hampshire.wav 1 min 22 s; 6.87 MB
- Mississippi Queen Mural in Red Wing, MN.jpg 5,312 × 2,988; 8.45 MB
- Mississippi River in Lanesboro, MN.jpg 5,312 × 2,988; 11.6 MB
- Mural depicting the Mississippi Queen in Red Wing, Minnesota.jpg 5,312 × 2,988; 7.01 MB
- Norwegian Lefsa Food Tradition in Minnesota.wav 1 min 12 s; 6.03 MB
- Pastry Counter in Red Wing, Minnesota.jpg 5,312 × 2,988; 8.63 MB
- Remembering A Moment--The JFK assassination.wav 1 min 20 s; 6.76 MB
- Settling a Frontier Town Rice, Minnesota.wav 1 min 19 s; 6.6 MB
- SFMS--Living in a small town teaches you loyalty (California).wav 1 min 23 s; 6.98 MB
- Sidewalk in Lanesboro, Minnesota.jpg 3,260 × 2,358; 4.43 MB
- Storytelling bench in Lanesboro, Minnesota.jpg 5,312 × 2,988; 10.85 MB
- Teen's First Job--Monsanto Corn Research Facility.wav 1 min 27 s; 7.32 MB
- The last telephone both in Lanesboro, Minnesota.jpg 5,312 × 2,988; 9.92 MB
- Through Ellis Island to San Joaquin valley, California.wav 1 min 18 s; 6.57 MB
- Walkway Down the Mississippi River, near Red Wing, Minnesota.jpg 5,312 × 2,988; 10.04 MB
- Welcoming Strangers to a Small Town.wav 25 s; 2.14 MB
- Why freedom to travel is important.wav 46 s; 3.89 MB