Constructed in 1829 as a set of five townhomes. For a brief time, circa 1836, one house was occupied by the author Anna Jameson, whose novel Winter Studies and Summer Ramble in Canada chronicled some of her time spent living in downtown Toronto. In the 1850s, the building was converted into the Adelaide Hotel. Over time, three of the townhomes were demolished. The remaining portion of the building was known in the mid-20th century as the Pretzel Bell Tavern. The upper storeys have been largely unused since the 1940s. The property was designated by the City of Toronto under the Ontario Heritage Act in 1980. Vacant for a number of years, the building was restored and incorporated into the newly-constructed 63-storey Shangri-La hotel and residences on the neighbouring property. Currently occupied by the Toronto outpost of the Soho House, a private members club founded in 1995 in London, England.
Media in category "Bishop's Block"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.