insect of the order Lepidoptera
|Instance of||common name (Lepidoptera)|
Butterflies and moths make up the scientific order Lepidoptera. There are many more moth species than butterflies. An unofficial scientific name difference between the two is Rhopalocera (butterflies) and Heterocera (moths). Additionally, both moths and butterflies proceed through distinctly different forms over their life-span: eggs, pupa, larva (caterpillar), imago (adult butterfly or moth). Finally, stylized depictions of butterflies are common in artwork. Such dipictions cannot be classified scientifically.
This category has the following 15 subcategories, out of 15 total.
- ► Butterflies in art (32 C, 1 P, 504 F)
- ► Lycaenidae (25 C, 1 F)
- ► Migrating butterflies (10 F)
- ► Riodinidae (13 C)
- ► Butterfly tagging (1 C)
- ► Butterfly zoos (2 C, 18 F)
Pages in category "Butterflies"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Butterflies"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- A Yellow Butterfly.jpg 3,264 × 2,448; 727 KB
- HK SMP 秀茂坪邨 Sau Mau Ping Estate butterfly garden July 2018 IX2 sign intro 01.jpg 3,648 × 2,432; 5.42 MB
- HK SMP 秀茂坪邨 Sau Mau Ping Estate butterfly garden July 2018 IX2 sign intro 02.jpg 3,648 × 2,432; 5.42 MB
- Idea sp butterfly.jpg 539 × 960; 64 KB