Butterflies and moths make up the scientific order Lepidoptera. There are many more moth species than butterflies. An unofficial scientific name difference between the two is Rhopalocera (butterflies) and Heterocera (moths). Additionally, both moths and butterflies proceed through distinctly different forms over their life-span: eggs, pupa, larva (caterpillar), imago (adult butterfly or moth). Finally, stylized depictions of butterflies are common in artwork. Such dipictions cannot be classified scientifically.
This category has the following 21 subcategories, out of 21 total.
- ► Butterflies in art (28 C, 1 P, 431 F)
- ► Butterflies on black background (10 F)
- ► Butterflies by color (12 C)
- ► Dead butterflies (1 C, 1 F)
- ► Riodinidae (9 C)
- ► Butterfly tagging (1 C)
- ► Butterfly zoos (11 C, 55 F)
Pages in category "Butterflies"
This category contains only the following page.