Category:Cedar Crest College

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cedar Crest College 
women's college in Pennsylvania
Cressman Library Cedar Crest College.JPG
Upload media
Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg  Wikipedia
Instance ofschool,
private not-for-profit educational institution
Location Pennsylvania
Located at street address
  • 100 College Drive, Allentown, PA, 18104-6196
Inception
  • 1867
official website
40° 35′ 13.2″ N, 75° 31′ 08.4″ W
Authority control
Blue pencil.svg
シダークレスト大学 (ja); Cedar Crest College (fr); Cedar Crest College (id); Cedar Crest College (nb); Cedar Crest College (en) women's college in Pennsylvania (en); sekolah di Amerika Serikat (id); Schule in den Vereinigten Staaten (de); school in de Verenigde Staten (nl)

The building was first constructed by Attorney Robert E. Wright, who named it Clover Nook, Wright's summer home that had been built in the 1850s. Parts of that earlier building were incorporated into the college. In 1867, it was donated to the Allentown Female College, and was occupied in 1868 as Allentown's first institution of higher education for women under the direction of the Reformed Church, now the United Church of Christ. In 1869, it was enlarged with three stories being added to the original structure. In addition, a 58x40 second addition was constructed. A continuous porch of over 300 feet in length was constructed around the entire building.

Wright, who had a number of daughters, felt strongly that young women in the city should have an education. The school's first classes were held in the basement of Zion's Reformed Church, but its first permanent quarters opened Nov. 3, 1869, at Fourth and Turner streets. In 1884, another wing was added. From 1869 to 1913 it was the college's main building. In 1893, the school received a new charter and was renamed the Allentown College for Women (ACW). It was operating under that name at the same location in 1908 when the Rev. Charles Curtis took over as president.

In 1913, Cedar Crest College moved to far west Allentown and became known as Cedar Crest College after the new location was dedicated on June 4th, 1913.

=============[edit]

In May 1917, former college building on 4th street was purchased and remodeled as a hotel, renamed "College Hotel". It had 65 rooms, with running hot and cold water in each room. It was also equipped with separate room telephones. Guests in its heyday in the 1920s were stage and screen star Al Jolson and a young military pilot, Curtis LeMay, who later became a general.

On 26 January 1939, a fire broke out in a chimney and severely damaged the upper floors, which had to be demolished. In the years after, the hotel began go go to seed, and slowly deteriorated. By June 1964, the hotel had become a long-term low-rent residential home for about 40 residents. Its condition had seriously deteriorated to the point that the City of Allentown ordered the property vacated and closed. It was subsequently condemned on 18 July. was ordered closed and the property condemned as unsafe.

The hotel was raised in October/November 1964. Plans to build a large apartment complex never materialized and today the property consists as a parking lot.

Media in category "Cedar Crest College"

The following 64 files are in this category, out of 64 total.