The Chicago Club was founded in 1869, and had several rented clubhouses before putting up their first building on Monroe Street in 1876. The building at 400 South Michigan Avenue at Van Buren was built in 1886-87 and was designed by Burnham & Root for the Art Institute of Chicago. When the Institute moved across the street in 1892, the building was bought by the Chicago Club as their fifth clubhouse, and served as that until it collapsed during remodelling in the 1920s. A new building was constructed on the site in 1929, designed by Granger and Bollenbacher in the Romanesque Revival style, and the Burham & Root triple-arched entrance was retained, but moved around the corner, to 81 East Van Buren Street. The building was listed on the NRHP on February 28, 2005. (Source: "About the Club" on the Chicago Club website])
Media in category "Chicago Club"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.