Category:Christ Church, Philadelphia
Christ Church is an Episcopal church located at 22-26 N. 2nd Street between Market and Arch Streets in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. It is the "Mother Church" of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America, which broke away from the Church of England at the end of the Revolutionary War. In 1785, William White, rector of Christ Church, became the first presiding bishop of the denomination.
Built in 1727-44, the architect of the Georgian style church is unknown, but the construction was supervised by a physician, John Kearsley, who is likely also responsible for its design, possibly with John Harrison. It was modeled on the work of Christoper Wren in London. The tower was added in 1751-54, and the church was rebuilt in 1771 by Robert Smith. Interior alterations were made in 1883, designed by Thomas U. Walter. (Sources: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.) and Architecture on Philadelphia: A Guide)
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Christ Church Burial Ground (1 C, 7 F)
Media in category "Christ Church, Philadelphia"
The following 136 files are in this category, out of 136 total.