Category:Church of St Mary the Virgin Historic Area

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

The Church of St Mary the Virgin Historic Area in Church Square, Addington, Christchurch, is registered with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust as a Historic Area with the registration number 7516. The Church of St Mary the Virgin Historic Area contains an English style church and yard that reflects the efforts of the early Canterbury settlers to recreate the familiar village landscapes they left behind. The church was built in 1866-1867 and extended by the noted Gothic Revival architect Benjamin Mountfort in 1880-1881. In 1877 local architect J.C. Maddison built a vicarage, which stills stands across the road from the church today. A belfry was erected in 1907 to commemorate Premier Richard Seddon (1845-1906), who had been closely associated with the church since his daughter had married one of the vicars. The lych-gate, which provides the main entrance into the church grounds, was erected in 1921 as a memorial to those parishioners who had died during World War One.