Category:Church of the Holy Apostles (Constantinople)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
church and imperial mausoleum in Constantinople
|Instance of||church building,|
destroyed building or structure
|Location||Istanbul, Istanbul Province|
English: The Church of the Holy Apostles, also known as the Imperial Polyandreion — a Christian basilica built in Constantinople (then the capital of the Byzantine Empire) in 550.
- The church was built to preserve the holy relics of the twelve Apostles, however only a few relics could be obtained. The church was rebuilt during the reign of Justinian I. It was cruciform in plan with five domes. It had a projecting narthex and an atrium. Building materials left from construction of the Hagia Sophia were used.
- All emperors who ruled since the time of Constantine I to Constantine VIII were buried there. Alexios III Angelos had the graves of the emperors looted to obtain revenues. In the Latin invasion of 1204 the tombs were once more pillaged and robbed of their relics. Portions of the church had fallen into ruins in the 14th century.
- In 1453, after the Islamic Ottoman conquest, it was granted to the Patriarchate of Constantinople, however because of its ruinous condition it was abandoned by the Patriarch. built on the ruins of the Church of the Holy Apostles ,
- In 1461 the ruins of the Church of the Holy Apostles was demolished by Sultan Mehmed II to make way for the new Fatih Mosque.
This category has only the following subcategory.
Media in category "Church of the Holy Apostles (Constantinople)"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- Apostoleion.jpg 351 × 398; 47 KB
- End of “corpus” in Byzance.jpg 1,798 × 1,526; 952 KB
- Floor plan of the former Church of the Holy Apostles.jpg 317 × 366; 48 KB
- Kokkinobaphos Holy Apostles.jpg 258 × 337; 25 KB
- Luke (Menologion of Basil II).jpg 1,083 × 749; 549 KB
- Meister der Predigten des Mönchs Johannes Kokkinobaphos 002.jpg 1,576 × 2,133; 331 KB
- Menologion of Basil 061.jpg 1,772 × 1,178; 1.18 MB
- Saint Timothy (Menologion of Basil II).jpg 2,126 × 1,480; 2.36 MB
- Église des Saints-Apôtres, Tout l'or de Byzance (p. 128).jpg 1,476 × 2,332; 1.47 MB