Category:Community Synagogue formerly St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church
The Community Synagogue Max D. Raiskin Center at 323 East 6th Street between First and Second Avenues in the East Village, Manhattan, New York City was built c.1847 in the Greek Revival style by St. Matthews Lutheran Evangelical Church which rented it to the German Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Mark, and sold it to them in 1857. On June 15, 1904 1,200 parishioners and friends were killed when the PS General Slocum caught fire and sank in the East River. The building was sold to the newly-formed Community Synagogue in 1940. It is located within the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District (Sources: "East Village/Lower East Side Historic District Designation Report", AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed.), historical plaque on the fence of the building and From Abyssinian to Zion (2010))
Media in category "Community Synagogue formerly St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church"
The following 2 files are in this category, out of 2 total.