Category:Companions of Saint Nicholas
|Instance of||group of fictional characters|
The companions of Saint Nicholas are a group of closely related figures who accompany Saint Nicholas throughout the territories formerly in the Holy Roman Empire. These characters act as a foil to the benevolent Christmas gift-bringer, threatening to thrash or abduct disobedient children. Jacob Grimm (Deutsche Mythologie) associated this character with the pre-Christian house spirit (kobold, elf) which could be benevolent or malicious, but whose mischievous side was emphasized after Christianization. The association of the Christmas gift-bringer with elves has parallels in English and Scandinavian folklore, and is ultimately and remotely connected to the modern Christmas elf in American folklore.
This category has the following 5 subcategories, out of 5 total.
Media in category "Companions of Saint Nicholas"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Belsnickel in Modern Day Travel Attire.JPG 3,216 × 4,288; 2.96 MB
- Fort Furggels - They are here (11276499005).jpg 3,938 × 2,625; 3.92 MB
- Küssnachter Samichlaus.jpg 4,133 × 3,456; 2.65 MB
- Mikuláš a čert v akci.jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 2.76 MB
- Modern Day Belsnickel. 2012.JPG 4,288 × 3,216; 3.52 MB
- Modern Day Belsnickel.jpg 4,288 × 3,216; 3.68 MB
- Pelznickel - Guabiruba (7).jpg 5,472 × 3,648; 10.12 MB
- Samichlausschwimmen 02.jpg 5,184 × 3,456; 7.05 MB
- St. Nicholas (serial) (1873) (14781683324).jpg 1,420 × 2,132; 584 KB