Category:Corn Exchange, Preston

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: The Corn Exchange in Preston, Lancashire, England, was built in 1822–24 as a number of rooms around a glass-roofed courtyard, close to the terminus of the Lancaster Canal. It was converted to the Public Hall in 1881–2 with seating for 3,300 people. It was closed in 1972 on completion of the new Guild Hall, and most of the building was demolished in 1986 to make way for a bypass. The façade and foyer of the building survive as a public house, and reverted to the original "Corn Exchange" name. It is now called "The Assembly". It is a Grade II listed building.