Category:Cox's Store (Kirby, West Virginia)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Cox's Store is a mid-19th century former general store and post office on Rock Oak Road (County Route 10/6) at its intersection with Grassy Lick Road (County Route 10) in Kirby, West Virginia, United States. Cox's Store was constructed prior to the American Civil War and located west of its present-day site in a grove of trees which allowed it to be unseen by destructive Union forces. In 1864, the Goodlove brothers moved the store to its current location and operated it for several years. Succeeding storekeepers were Mr. Ludwig, Marcellus Bucklew, and R. F. Davis and his wife Bertie. In 1940, Lincoln and Nellie Cox purchased the property which became known as Cox's Store. In the 1950s, an addition was added housing a combination theatre/community room and providing a temporary home to the Kirby Post 134 American Legion and Auxiliary. As of May 2006, the building no longer serves as a store or a post office, and is currently vacant.
- The Hampshire County Historical Society (2006) Christmas in Old Hampshire, Romney, West Virginia: The Hampshire County Historical Society
|Object location||View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth - Proximityrama|
Media in category "Cox's Store (Kirby, West Virginia)"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.