Category:De Oude Welgemoed
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
|This category shows a South African Protected Site with SAHRA file reference 9/2/012/0007.|
English: Nicolaas Loubser farmed here from 1677, making it one of the oldest farms in the district. In 1692 he had 1 000 sheep, 10 calves and 14 oxen. Loubser’s son-in-law, Johannes Mostert, planted the first vines and made his own wine and brandy. By 1740 there were 6 000 vines with an annual wine production of 5 leaguers (approximately 2 600 litres). In 1760 Marthinus le Roux became the owner of the farm and he was responsible for the farmstead, in which the main restaurant is housed, and many other improvements on the farm. By 1823 there were 40 000 vines, making it one of the largest wine farms in the Tygerberg. Francois Jean van Helslandt Duminy bought the farm in 1839. In 1881, during their visit to the Cape, two British princes, Albert and George (later George V), hunted on the farm as guests of the Duminy family. In 1894 a small school was built on the farm. The farm was sold to Sanlam in 1948 for town development. The Cape Divisional Council had certain requirements, which resulted in many public open spaces. A golf course was developed on some of these spaces and the historical farmhouse was made available as clubhouse. In 1991, after a new clubhouse was built, the old homestead was renovated and converted to one of the best restaurants in the country. One can see the building methods of those days as some of the walls were left exposed during the renovations.