Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: Dravidian architecture was a style of primarily Chola dynasty architecture, that emerged thousands of years ago in the Indian subcontinent by the ancient Tamil people. They consist of pyramid shaped temples (Gopurams) which are dependent on intricate carved stone in order to create a step design consisting of many statues of deities, warriors, kings, and dancers. The majority of the existing buildings are located in the Southern Indian states of Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, and Karnataka. Various kingdoms and empires such as the Pallavas, Cholas, Pandyan, Chera, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Hoysalas, Vijayanagara Empire amongst the many others have made a substantial contribution to the evolution of Dravidian architecture through the ages. Dravidian styled architecture can also be found in parts of Northeastern Sri Lanka, Maldives, and various parts of Southeast Asia.
architectural idiom that emerged in the Southern part of the Indian subcontinent or South India, consisting primarily of temples with pyramid shaped towers
|Instance of||architectural style|
|Country of origin|
This category has the following 16 subcategories, out of 16 total.
- ► Architecture of the Chola Dynasty (38 C, 1 F)
- ► Divya Desams (91 C, 3 F)
- ► Gopurams (3 C, 15 F)
- ► Architecture of the Kingdom of Mysore (39 C)
- ► Nālukettu (3 C, 14 F)
- ► Architecture of the Pallava dynasty (21 C, 5 F)
- ► Temple architecture in Kerala (9 C, 4 F)
Media in category "Dravidian architecture"
The following 12 files are in this category, out of 12 total.
- Black and White potrayal of pathway to exit giving a feel of ancient ruins.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 5.42 MB
- Brihadeeswarar Temple Vimana.jpg 3,921 × 2,337; 1.88 MB
- Entering the place to witness the alluring beauty of the enchanting temple.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 4.58 MB
- Hampi Ruins-Bellary-Karnataka-Malyavanta Raghunathaswamy temple.jpg 2,932 × 3,363; 3.83 MB
- Indian temple architecture.jpg 5,184 × 3,456; 5.1 MB
- Subrahmanyar shrine.jpg 4,000 × 3,000; 2.47 MB
- The unusual angle depicting how small we and our problems look infront of temple.jpg 3,456 × 4,608; 3.93 MB