No other property combines mansion, collections, and gardens into such an aesthetically compelling early to mid-twentieth century vision of estate living in Georgetown. Starting with the Bliss's occupancy and continuing under Harvard's ownership, Dumbarton Oaks has been a site of internationally significant cultural and political events. In 1938, Nadia Boulanger conducted, in the music room, the world premier of Igor Stravinsky's Dumbarton Oaks Concerto, commissioned by Mrs. Bliss, and nine years later Stravinsky conducted his concerto at Dumbarton Oaks. Stravinsky and Boulanger were two of this century's most important musicians. In 1944, the planning sessions that led to the creation of the United Nations were held in the Dumbarton Oaks music room. Two of this century's most important architectural firms, McKim, Mead and White and Philip Johnson, have designed major spaces at Dumbarton Oaks. Furthermore, the present Georgian Revival house incorporates a Federal Period house dating from approximately 1800. In addition, several locally prominent and one nationally prominent man associated with the house in the nineteenth century.
- Survey number: HABS DC-825
- Building/structure dates: ca. 1800- ca. 1801 Initial Construction
- Building/structure dates: 1921-1925 Subsequent Work
- Building/structure dates: 1940 Subsequent Work
- Building/structure dates: 1963 Subsequent Work
research institution concerning Byzantine and Pre-Columbian studies
|Instance of||botanical garden,
|Location||Georgetown, Washington, D.C., United States of America|
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category "Dumbarton Oaks"
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category "Dumbarton Oaks"
The following 64 files are in this category, out of 64 total.
- Canopy of trees at Dumbarton Oaks - panoramio.jpg 3,872 × 2,592; 4.86 MB
- DegasRehersalSongEsplanadeNOLA.jpg 343 × 440; 43 KB
- Edgar Degas - La répétition de chant.jpg 857 × 1,093; 191 KB
- Dumbarton Oaks - house photo with snow.jpg 4,152 × 2,355; 8.87 MB
- Dumbarton Oaks facade.jpg 3,158 × 1,683; 3.58 MB
- Dumbarton Oaks music room (color).jpg 748 × 1,024; 228 KB
- Dumbarton Oaks music room.jpg 735 × 1,024; 134 KB
- Dumbarton Oaks north face.jpg 3,183 × 1,868; 781 KB
- Dumbarton Oaks site plan (HABS).jpg 8,297 × 6,488; 10.16 MB
- Dumbarton Oaks solarium.jpg 2,013 × 3,613; 971 KB
- Dumbarton Oaks window.jpg 2,048 × 3,648; 975 KB
- Dumbarton Oaks, 1938 (5242083999).jpg 2,643 × 1,728; 459 KB
- JacquesDaret-portrait-of-louise-of-savoy-as-sibylla-agrippa-1930.jpg 1,713 × 2,500; 1.9 MB
- La Visitacion El Greco.jpg 870 × 1,176; 188 KB
- Statuette d'un Franc Le mans.jpg 121 × 427; 18 KB
- Statuette d'un Franc Le mans.png 121 × 427; 81 KB
- Washington conversations on international organization, Dumbarton Oaks.tiff 1,757 × 704; 3.54 MB