Category:Earl Grey (ship, 1909)
From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Steel-hulled, twin screw, triple expansion steam driven icebreaking passenger steamer, 250 feet in length.
- Vickers, Sons & Maxim, Barrow-in-Furness built the ship for the Canadian Government in 1909.
- The Earl Grey was named after Albert Henry George Grey, 4th Earl of Grey, who was governor General of Canada between 1904 and 1911. Yes, the same person who donated the Grey Cup for Canadian football supremacy. With her exceptionally spacious accommodation she was suitable for important inspection tours and was much used by Lord Grey himself.
- She was sold to Russia in 1914 and gave many years of service to the Russians before being scrapped. Her wheelhouse and radio shack are on view in the Maritime Museum in Moscow.