Christian theology was clear that angels had no gender (having no ability to reproduce themselves), and were beautiful; the position in other religions was generally the same. Artists attempted to produce images that reflected this. From about the Renaissance some depictions became more gendered in appearance, and by the 19th century this was very common, with breasts and sometimes male genitals. Quasi-angelic winged figures in allegorical and mythological subjects were much more often shown as clearly gendered.
This category has the following 3 subcategories, out of 3 total.
Media in category "Female angels"
The following 54 files are in this category, out of 54 total.
- Ange2.jpg 103 KB
- Angel Fairy Statue.jpg 660 KB
- Angel in Denmark.JPG 3.09 MB
- Angel letiel.jpg 457 KB
- Angels-online.jpg 135 KB
- Caminade-Annunciation.jpg 255 KB
- Corpus Gil Hellín 5.JPG 1.35 MB
- Eos.jpg 183 KB
- Familie Flesch.jpg 4.24 MB
- FvB-AN-204.jpg 398 KB
- Golestan door.JPG 1.66 MB
- Lelio Orsi 003.jpg 398 KB
- Neff Angel.jpg 214 KB
- Alfred Rethel 002.jpg 270 KB
- Seghers - Dream of St Joseph.jpg 4.31 MB
- Vom hoh´n Olymp herab.JPG 797 KB