Category:Fillmore East

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search

The theatre at 105 Second Avenue that became the Fillmore East was originally built as a Yiddish theater in 1925-26 – designed by Harrison Wiseman in the Medieval Revival style – at a time when the section of Second Avenue was known as the "Jewish Rialto" because of the numerous theatres that catered to a Yiddish-speaking audience. Orignbally the Commodore Theater, and independently operated, it eventually was taken over by Loews Inc. and became a movie theatre, the Loews Commodore. It later became the Village Theatre When Bill Graham took over the theatre in 1967, it had fallen into disrepair. Despite the deceptively small marquee and façade, the theater had a capacity of almost 2,700. Graham ran the Fillmore East from 1968 to 1971. In 1974 the venue reopened as the NFE Theatre – "NFE" standing for "New Fillmore East" – operating through 1975, but was renamed the "Village East", supposedly due to objections from Bill Graham over the use of the Fillmore name. In 1980, the venue became The Saint, a private gay nightclub. As of 2007, the former lobby building is owned by the Emigrant Savings Bank, which has a branch at street level, and the rest of the interior where the auditorium once was has been demolished and replaced with an apartment complex, Hudson East, with its entrance at 225 East 6th Street. The building at 105 Second Avenue is located within the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District (Sources: "East Village/Lower East Side Historic District Designation Report" and AIA Guide to NYC (4th ed,))

Media in category "Fillmore East"

The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.