Category:First Crystal Palace (Toronto)
English: The first Crystal Palace in Toronto, officially named the Palace of Industry, was modelled after the Crystal Palace in Hyde Park, London, England, and it was Toronto's first permanent exhibition hall. Completed in 1858, it was located south of the Provincial Lunatic Asylum, northwest of King and Shaw Streets. Designed by Sir Sandford Fleming and Collingwood Schreiber, it contained more cast iron than the London model due to Toronto's climate. As the site became increasingly inadequate to handle the crowds attending fairs and exhibitions, the Crystal Palace was dismantled in 1878 and the ironwork was used to construct a new Crystal Palace on what would later become the Canadian National Exhibition grounds.