Category:Fort James, Accra

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: Fort James was constructed 1672 in connection with the events which result in the outbreak of the Third English-Dutch Sea War (1672 - 1678). The aim of the fort was the protection of the English trading post on this place against the Dutch and other European powers. The main merchandises to that time were gold, ivory and spices, later also palm oil, cotton and other. Only after the handover of the Asiento de negros to Great Britain in the Peace to Utrecht on 11th April 1714, this fort served as collection and shipment post for slaves which were mainly delivered by the King of Asante. Slave trade and transports by the British ended on 1st May 1807 on Royal Order.

Media in category "Fort James, Accra"

The following 40 files are in this category, out of 40 total.