Category:Fort Kormantin

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
English: Fort Kormantin is the oldest British fortified post on the Gold Coast at all. It's located at the then village Kormantin (contemporary: the town Saltpont, Ghana, near the contemporary little coastal village Abandze). The Fort was built in 1638 by the English on the spot of an already since 1634 existing English factory. The fort was erected as military protection against the ascending Dutch competition. With the "Treaty of Breda" of 21st July 1667 was Fort Komantin ceded to the "Generalstaaten" (Dutch), which called it Fort Amsterdam. In exchange for Fort Sekondi it got British again in 1785, but was abandoned and ceded to the Ashantis in 1806/1807, however later again recaptured by the British.
Object location 5° 12′ 00″ N, 1° 05′ 00″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap. View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth - Proximityrama info

Media in category "Fort Kormantin"

The following 105 files are in this category, out of 105 total.