George Brosius (September 9, 1839-March 17, 1920) was a gymnastics teacher associated from 1854 to 1915 with the Milwaukee Turnverein. He served in the Union Army from 1861 to 1864. He introduced physical education to the Milwaukee public schools in 1875 and supervised it until 1883. His crowning achievement was leading seven members of the Milwaukee Turnverein to the international gymnastics tournament in Frankfurt am Main in 1880, where they won the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 13th, and 21st individual prizes. He served as director of the American Gymnastic Union's Normal College of Physical Education in Milwaukee from 1875 to 1899.
Media in category "George Brosius"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- George Brosius 1863.jpg 2.49 MB
- George Brosius 1865.jpg 2.8 MB
- George Brosius 1888.jpg 2.23 MB
- George Brosius 1890.jpg 899 KB
- Milwaukee Gymnasium 1869.jpg 2.43 MB
- Milwaukee Turners 1880.jpg 2.18 MB
- Milwaukee Turners 1900.jpg 2.19 MB
- Milwaukee Turners in 1880.jpg 2.99 MB
- Milwaukee Turnverein 1866.jpg 2.66 MB
- Turnverein Milwaukee 1905.jpg 2.18 MB
- Turnverein Milwaukee 1909.jpg 2.61 MB