Category:German Village (Dugway)
German Village was the nickname for a range of residential houses constructed in 1943 by the U.S. Army in the Dugway Proving Ground in Utah, roughly a hundred kilometers southwest of Salt Lake City.
Dugway was a high-security testing facility for chemical and biological weapons. The purpose of the replicas of German homes, which were repeatedly rebuilt after being intentionally burned down, was to perfect tactics in the fire bombing of German residential areas during World War II.
The US Army employed German émigré architects such as Erich Mendelsohn to create copies as accurate as possible of the dwellings of densely populated poorer population quarters of Berlin. The main goal was to find a tactic to achieve a fire storm in the city center. Ironically the working class areas on which the test buildings were based, such as Wedding and Pankow, had been communist strongholds before Nazi repression suppressed dissent.
The architects who worked on the German village and on the next-doors Japanese equivalent also included Konrad Wachsmann and Antonin Raymond.
The Japanese village is long gone, but the 2 houses of the German village still remain today in Dugway proving ground.
Media in category "German Village (Dugway)"
The following 32 files are in this category, out of 32 total.
- German Village Dugway 1.jpg 1.47 MB