For evolution of Mandolin family instruments, see category: Gittern, Mandore (instrument), Baroque mandolins and Classical mandolins.
For evolution of Guitar family instruments, see category: Gittern, Vihuelas, Baroque guitars and Romantic guitars.
For similar-shape string instruments, see category: Rebec and Komuz.
- mandolinos - gittern. ATLAS of Plucked Instruments. "The gittern is a small medieval lute-like instrument. It can be recognized on old pictures by its smaller size, carved body, and sickle shaped tuning head. Other spellings are : guittern or quintern."
- The Gittern and Citole. Diabolus in Musica Guide to Early Instruments. "... It took some extremely painstaking cross-referencing by a guy called Laurence Wright to sort it all out. The final conclusion was pretty definite, and appeared in the Galpin Society Journal in May 1977. The information took a while to filter through the early music community though, so beware of any reference to the gittern, citole, or mandora in pre-1985 texts."
Media in category "Gittern"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Princess Louisa and Princess Caroline by Francis Cotes, 1767.jpg 1,033 × 1,500; 706 KB
- Basel 2012-10-02 Mattes (248).JPG 2,736 × 3,648; 3.26 MB
- Gittern, Cathedral Saint Julien du Mans, France, c.1325.jpg 359 × 360; 70 KB
- Llaüt guitarrenc.jpg 1,288 × 1,936; 1.08 MB
- Simone Martini 037.jpg 2,024 × 2,483; 530 KB
- Vielle or Citole and Gittern Tuning.jpg 960 × 931; 200 KB
- Virdung Lutes PluckBow 1511 nb.jpg 483 × 344; 62 KB
- Virdung Lutes PluckBow 1511.jpg 504 × 365; 72 KB
- Wartburg-Laute 001.jpg 1,100 × 2,200; 260 KB
- Wartburg-Laute.JPG 2,272 × 1,704; 328 KB