Category:Hannah Nicholson (ship, 1858)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: The Hannah Nicholson was a three masted wooden barque built by Lumley Kennedy & Co.at Whitehaven, launched in 1858. She sailed from Whitehaven on the 1st April of that year, bound for Melbourne. Her first passage was made under the command of Capt.W.Rooke, and the vessel carried her owner, William Nicholson. The barque arrived at Melbourne on the 23rd July 1858. She was to spend the rest of her career in Australia and New Zealand, and in particular in the trade to Port Louis, Mauritius, and to New Caledonia. From 1873 the Hannah Nicholson was registered at Adelaide, owned by J.Bickers. That year she left Port Louis bound for Adelaide with a cargo of sugar. On arrival at Portland the master, Capt.Leask, was found dead. He had fired shots at the crew and had gone mad, eventually locking himself in his cabin, where his dead body was found with a note stating that he had been murdered by the crew. The Hannah Nicholson was registered at Dunedin, New Zealand, in 1910. The vessel ended her career in 1826, according to the website of the South Australian Maritime Museum, which has her figurehead.
Media in category "Hannah Nicholson (ship, 1858)"
This category contains only the following file.
- StateLibQld 1 148835 Hannah Nicholson (ship).jpg 1,000 × 621; 114 KB