home of Philip Syng Physick (1768-1837)
|Location||Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania|
|Heritage designation|| |
The Hill-Physick-Keith House at 321 S. 4th Street between Cypress and Delancey Streets in the Society Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia was built in 1786 in the Federal style for wealthy wine merchant Henry Hill. From 1815 to 1837 it was the home of Philip Syng Physick, who has been called "the father of American surgery". The building was rescued from dilapidation by Walter Annerberg in the 1960s, restored, and turned over to the Philadelphia Society for the Preservation of Landmarks. The house is now a museum with a garden that replicates on of the early 19th century, and also serves as the headquarters of the State Society of the Cincinnati of Pennsylvania. It is the only extant example of a free-standing mansion in the colonial part of the city. (Sources: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.), Architecture in Philadelphia: A Guide and State Society of the Cincinnati of Pennsylvania website)
This is a category about a place or building that is listed on the National Register of Historic Places in the United States of America. Its reference number is
Media in category "Hill-Physick-Keith House"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.