Idolatry literally means idol worship, that is any reverence of an image, statue or icon. In Abrahamic religions, idolatry connotes the worship of something or someone other than God as if it were God. There has been a historic disagreement on what constitutes idolatry, with some calling practices such as the worship of Virgin Mary (Mariolatry) as idolatry, others considering the reverence for the Christian cross icon as idolatry. Carlos Eire – a professor of Religious Studies and History, states one man's devotion has been another man's idolatry (Cambridge University Press, ISBN 978-0-521-37984-7). Colonial era Christian and Muslim proselytizers in Africa, Americas and Asia have called other religions as idolatrous.
The opposition to the use of any icon or image to represent ideas of reverence or worship is called "Aniconism". The destruction of idols and images as icons of veneration is called "Iconoclasm".
This category has the following 10 subcategories, out of 10 total.
- ► Allegories of idolatry (1 F)
- ► Christian processions (18 C, 99 F)
- ► Idolatry of Solomon (16 F)
- ► Orthodox festivals (5 C, 7 F)
Media in category "Idolatry"
The following 55 files are in this category, out of 55 total.
- Carabane-Fétiches.jpg 245 KB
- Catholic procession.jpg 788 KB
- Féticheurs-Abomey-1912.jpg 201 KB
- Ganesh chaturthi 01.jpg 1.69 MB
- Ganesh chaturthi 02.jpg 1.72 MB
- Ganesh chaturthi 04.jpg 1.42 MB
- Gyo nat, Yangon, Myanmar.jpg 674 KB
- Hans Memling 016.jpg 121 KB
- Menologion of Basil 058.jpg 530 KB
- Peter Paul Rubens 112.jpg 255 KB
- PROCES SCALDIS- ANTW 04.JPG 517 KB
- Procession 2006 - n°6.JPG 2.24 MB
- Prozession in Becora.jpg 118 KB
- Santuario1.JPG 637 KB
- Vermilion on a stone.jpg 716 KB