Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: The Ikhwan ( Arabic for brothers) was an Islamic religious militia which formed the main military force of the Arabian ruler Ibn Saud and played a key role in establishing him as ruler of most of the Arabian Peninsula, in his new state of Saudi Arabia. The Ikhwan were made up of Bedouin tribes. According to Wilfred Thesiger, this militant religious brotherhood declared that they were dedicated to the purification and the unification of Islam. This movement had aimed at breaking up the tribes and settling the Bedu around the wells and oases. They felt that the nomadic life was incompatible with strict conformity with Islam. Ibn Saud had risen to power on this movement. Later the Ikhwan rebelled when they accused Ibn Saud of religious laxity when he forbade them to raid into neighbouring states. After the conquest of the Hejaz in 1924 brought all of the current Saudi state under Ibn Saud's control, the monarch found himself in conflict with elements of the Ikhwan. He crushed their power at the Battle of Sabilla in 1930, following which the militia was reorganised into the Saudi Arabian National Guard.
Wahhabi religious militia
|Instance of||field army|
|Dissolved, abolished or demolished|| |
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Media in category "Ikhwan"
The following 13 files are in this category, out of 13 total.
- Faisal al-duwaish 1930.jpg 628 × 316; 108 KB
- Flag of ikhwan.jpg 361 × 214; 13 KB
- Flag of Ikhwan.svg 724 × 359; 5 KB
- Ikhwan March.jpg 1,038 × 563; 196 KB
- Ikhwan.jpg 540 × 450; 46 KB
- National Museum Riyadh (6760338641).jpg 4,608 × 3,072; 6.78 MB
- Riyadh NationalMuseum IbnSaud.JPG 3,008 × 2,000; 927 KB
- Sheikh Fahad bin Dhwehr.jpg 1,236 × 1,346; 124 KB
- SultanibnBajad.jpg 241 × 269; 23 KB
- Valanga sp? (8417788370).jpg 3,924 × 2,603; 1.57 MB
- Vinegaroons in courtship (Thelyphonus sp) (8389223227).jpg 4,288 × 2,848; 2.77 MB
- Vinegaroons in courtship (Thelyphonus sp) (8389383381).jpg 2,848 × 4,288; 6.28 MB
- Vinegaroons in courtship (Thelyphonus sp) (8390306848).jpg 4,288 × 2,848; 5.2 MB