Category:Independent agencies of the United States government
Independent agencies of the United States government are those that exist outside of the departments of the executive branch. Established through separate statutes passed by the U.S. Congress, each respective statutory grant of authority defines the goals the agency must work towards, as well as what substantive areas, if any, over which it may have the power of rulemaking. These agency rules (or regulations), while in force, have the power of federal law.
The executive departments are the major operating units of the U.S. federal government, but many other agencies have important responsibilities for serving the public interest and carrying out government operations. Executive branch independent agencies are not part of a fourth branch of government; they are part of the executive branch, but are not part of a specific executive department. A few independent agencies are part of the legislative branch under Congress, such as the Government Accountability Office (formerly called the General Accounting Office), the Library of Congress, the Congressional Research Service, and the Government Printing Office.
The nature and purpose of independent agencies vary widely. Some are regulatory groups with powers to supervise certain sectors of the economy. Others provide special services either to the government or to the people. In most cases, the agencies have been created by Congress to deal with matters that have become too complex for the scope of ordinary legislation. In 1970, for example, Congress established the United States Environmental Protection Agency to coordinate governmental action to protect the environment.The Administrative Procedure Act establishes the protocols for agency rulemaking and decisions in agency enforcement proceedings. The APA also provides for direct judicial review of agency action in the D.C. Circuit Court (and then on appeal to the Supreme Court), once all intra-agency procedures have been exhausted. The D.C. Circuit can uphold the regulation as a valid exercise of statutory authority by the agency, or it can remand back to the agency for further consideration and information gathering. Decisions and rules must be sufficiently justified by the agency to withstand judicial review. If there is no established factual or rational basis for the agency's actions, the court will not infer or assume one.
agencies that exist outside of the federal executive departments
|Subclass of||United States federal agency|
|Location||United States of America|
This category has the following 59 subcategories, out of 59 total.
- ► American Battle Monuments Commission (30 C, 24 F)
- ► NASA (38 C, 1 P, 4 F)
- ► National Archives and Records Administration (23 C, 21 P, 293 F)
- ► National Credit Union Administration (7 F)
- ► National Endowment for the Arts (5 C, 14 F)
- ► National Endowment for the Humanities (3 C, 4 F)
- ► National Labor Relations Board (2 C, 7 F)
- ► National Science Foundation (21 C, 18 F)
- ► National Transportation Safety Board (8 C, 118 F)
- ► National War Labor Board (WWI) (5 F)
- ► National War Labor Board (WWII) (7 F)
- ► Nuclear Regulatory Commission (12 C, 727 F)
- ► Tennessee Valley Authority (19 C, 1 P, 193 F)
Media in category "Independent agencies of the United States government"
The following 17 files are in this category, out of 17 total.
- African Development Foundation logo.svg 470 × 470; 78 KB
- Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission Poll 1.png 616 × 771; 15 KB
- Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service - headquarters.JPG 2,448 × 2,589; 2.21 MB
- FEI1.JPG 2,560 × 1,920; 1,002 KB
- InterAmericanFoundationLogo.gif 187 × 161; 8 KB
- Neh logo horizlarge.jpg 1,050 × 258; 122 KB
- NPREC logo.jpg 185 × 171; 37 KB
- Sample 2009 Director Compensation Table.jpg 1,265 × 661; 292 KB
- US-AbilityOne-Logo.svg 730 × 418; 4 KB
- US-ArmedForcesRetirementHome-Logo.svg 479 × 720; 20 KB
- US-ChemicalSafetyBoard-Logo.svg 720 × 324; 270 KB
- US-FFIEC-Logo.svg 731 × 284; 7 KB
- US-InterAmericanFoundation-Logo.svg 720 × 720; 53 KB
- US-JWODProgram-Logo.svg 720 × 251; 13 KB
- US-OverseasPrivateInvestmentCorporation-Logo.svg 720 × 651; 22 KB