Category:Inspiration Point Shelter
The Inspiration Point Shelter, located on the Hudson River Greenway between 181st and Dyckman Streets, west of the northbound lanes of the Henry Hudson Parkway (frequently known as the West Side Highway) in Manhattan, New York City, was built in 1925 and was designed by Gustave Steinacher. At the time it was located next to Riverside Drive, and was intended as a resting place for pedestrians and pleasure drivers, and originally had a roof and included rest rooms. After the roadway was usurped and became part of the highway, the neo-classical pavilion with Doric colonnades was cut off from public access and seriously deteriorated. It was renovated beginning in 1989, and is now easily accesible by pedestrians, bikers and skaters via the Greenway. Inspiration Point is 136 feet above the Hudson River, and is 26 feet wide, 106 feet long and 16 feet tall. It is under the jurisdiction of the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation as part of Ft. Washington Park. (Sources: NYC Parks Dept, WNYC and NY Times)
Media in category "Inspiration Point Shelter"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- 2014 Barge on Hudson River passing Fort Tryon Park and Hudson Heights.jpg 4,608 × 1,773; 2.04 MB
- Inspiration Point Shelter from north with GWB and Palisades in background.jpg 3,264 × 2,448; 1.82 MB
- Inspiration Point Shelter from south.jpg 3,264 × 1,927; 1.71 MB
- Inspiration Point Shelter from southeast.jpg 3,057 × 1,494; 1.11 MB
- Inspiration Point Shelter interior from southwest.jpg 3,264 × 2,448; 2.05 MB
- Riverside Drive Improvement marker.jpg 2,448 × 3,264; 3.1 MB