Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: Courtyards in traditional Islamic architecture - in Arabic a Sahn or sehan. They are found within Islamic religious and secular structures.
- Religious sahns
- A mosque sahn—courtyard is within almost every mosque complex of traditional Islamic architecture.
- The courtyards are open to the sky and enclosed on all sides by structures with halls and rooms, and often encircled by a shaded semi-open riwaq or arcade. Sahns usually feature a centrally positioned a howz or ritual cleansing pool, under an open domed pavilion. A mosque courtyard is place used for performing ablutions, and a patio for rest or gathering.
- For images of mosque sahns—courtyards, see also: Category: Mosque courtyards.
- Secular sahns
- Within a residence or other secular building the sahn is a private courtyard, and often a walled garden.
- The space is used for: Paradise gardens and the landscape aesthetics of plants, water, architectural elements, and natural light; a cooler private space with fountains and shade during summer heat; a source of breezes into the structure; and a protected and proscribed place where the women of the house need not be covered in the hijab clothing traditionally necessary in public.
courtyard in Islamic architecture
|Facet of||Islamic architecture|
- See also - Wikimedia: Category: Islamic architectural elements; and Wikipedia: Category: Islamic architectural elements (english text).
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Media in category "Islamic courtyards"
The following 19 files are in this category, out of 19 total.
- 18 Chardin Caravanseray in Kashan.jpg 1,125 × 726; 257 KB
- Baz Bahadur's Palace 09.jpg 4,246 × 2,754; 7 MB
- Baz Bahadur's Palace 11.jpg 3,266 × 2,344; 3.84 MB
- Baz Bahadur's Palace 12.jpg 4,512 × 2,940; 9.65 MB
- Baz Bahadur's Palace 14.jpg 4,939 × 3,292; 7.03 MB
- Cipro-Nicosia04.jpg 1,280 × 960; 218 KB
- Interior wall Azhar.JPG 3,072 × 2,304; 1.37 MB
- Istiqlal mosque.JPG 1,600 × 1,200; 151 KB
- Jiva, Itchan Kala 68.jpg 4,092 × 2,788; 8.47 MB
- July 9 2005 - The Lahore Fort-The five arches of the Shish Mahal.jpg 2,272 × 1,712; 391 KB
- Fountains in Grande Mosquée de Paris September 26, 2011.jpg 4,288 × 2,848; 5.15 MB
- Mosquée de Paris 03.JPG 640 × 480; 215 KB
- Patio grande mosquee de paris.jpg 1,712 × 2,288; 992 KB
- مسجد باريس001.JPG 1,632 × 1,224; 336 KB
- Patio de la Iglesia de El Salvador (Granada).jpg 4,224 × 2,376; 7.08 MB
- Sakirin cami avlusu.jpg 1,600 × 1,200; 203 KB
- Shoes at the entrance of a temple.jpg 2,616 × 3,896; 7.08 MB
- Var 132.jpg 1,600 × 1,200; 531 KB