Johannes Stumpf (1500-1578) was an early writer on the history and topography of Switzerland.
His most important work is the book was published 1548 at Zürich in a huge folio of 934 pages (with many fine wood engravings, coats of arms, maps, &c.) under the title Gemeiner loblicher Eydgnoschafft Stetten, Landen und Voelckeren Chronick wirdiger thaaten Beschreybung (an extract from it was published in 1554, under the name of Schwytzer Chronika, while new and greatly enlarged editions of the original work were issued in 1586 and 1606). The woodcuts are best in the first edition, and it remained till Scheuchzer's day (early 18th century) the chief authority on its subject.
Stumpf also published a monograph (very remarkable for the date) about Henry III, Holy Roman Emperor (1556) and a set of laudatory verses (Lobspruche) about each of the thirteen Swiss cantons.
|Date of birth||23 April 1500 (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584)|
|Date of death||1577 (statement with Gregorian date earlier than 1584)|
|Country of citizenship|
This category has only the following subcategory.
Media in category "Johannes Stumpf"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
- 69 B 713 RH, Blatt 79v.jpg 320 × 452; 56 KB
- Bubikon 16Jh.jpg 3,165 × 1,940; 1.06 MB
- Stumpf Portrait.jpg 2,473 × 3,768; 4.69 MB
- UBBasel Map 1500-1599 Kartenslg Schw A 57.tif 11,715 × 9,038, 2 pages; 302.95 MB
- Zürich - Trittligasse - Johannes Stumpf IMG 1245.JPG 3,264 × 2,448; 4.89 MB
- Zürich - Trittligasse IMG 1247.JPG 3,264 × 2,448; 4.05 MB