From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
English: Beginning in 1603, the deceased Jews of the Swiss Surbtal communities were buried on a small Rhein river island, the so-called Judenäule' ("Jew's island") which was leased by the Jewish community. As the island was repeatedly flooded and devastated, in 1750 the Surbtal Jews asked the Swiss Tagsatzung to establish a cemetery in the vicinity of their communities in the Surb valley. In 1750 the Tagsatzung 'allowed' the Jewish communities of Endingen and Lengnau to acquire woodland on a small hill between Endingen and Lengnau to establish the Jüdischer Friedhof Endingen (Endingen cemetery) The cemetery has been expanded several times; based on an 1859 agreement, two-fifths of the cemetery belong to the Israelite community of Lengnau, and three-fifths to the Israelite community of Endingen.
Media in category "Judenäule"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.