ancient Egyptian tomb
|Location||Valley of the Kings, Luxor Governorate, Egypt|
|Time of discovery or invention|
|Part of the series|
Tomb KV34 in the Valley of the Kings (near the modern-day Egyptian city of Luxor) was the final resting place of 18th dynasty Pharaoh Thutmose III.
One of the first tombs to be dug in the Valley, it was cut high in the cliff face of the furthermost wadi. A steep corridor leads down, in a dog-leg shape, from the entrance past a deep well to a trapezoidal antechamber. Beyond the antechamber lies the cartouche-shaped burial chamber, off which stand four smaller side chambers. The stone sarcophagus in which Thutmose was laid to rest is still in place in the burial chamber, albeit damaged by tomb robbers.
Many of the wall decorations are in an unusual style not found elsewhere in the Valley of the Kings. On a yellow-tinged background (intended to resemble aged papyrus), the earliest known version of the Amduat is traced, depicting the gods of Ancient Egypt as simple (almost naive) stick figures, in papyrus writing style. The Litany of Ra also appears in the burial chamber, with a similar execution. (Also, on the way up the staircase to the tomb, you can see on the cliff wall graffiti done by the workmen building the tomb.)
The tomb was plundered in antiquity and its location lost. It was rediscovered and first excavated in 1898 under Victor Loret.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "KV34"
The following 16 files are in this category, out of 16 total.
- KV34 - Tomba de Tutmosis III.jpg 1,024 × 768; 326 KB
- EG Theben-West DSCN3156 asb 08-2003.jpg 484 × 640; 86 KB
- Egypt.KV34.08.jpg 480 × 640; 52 KB
- Entrance of the Tomb of Thutmose III (36394415902).jpg 2,090 × 3,134; 2.97 MB
- Flickr - Gaspa - Valle dei Re, tomba di Thutmosi III (1).jpg 1,361 × 2,048; 378 KB
- Flickr - Gaspa - Valle dei Re, tomba di Thutmosi III (11).jpg 1,361 × 2,048; 418 KB
- Flickr - Gaspa - Valle dei Re, tomba di Thutmosi III (12).jpg 2,048 × 1,361; 381 KB
- Flickr - Gaspa - Valle dei Re, tomba di Thutmosi III (2).jpg 1,361 × 2,048; 430 KB
- Flickr - Gaspa - Valle dei Re, tomba di Thutmosi III (3).jpg 1,361 × 2,048; 453 KB
- Flickr - Gaspa - Valle dei Re, tomba di Thutmosi III.jpg 1,361 × 2,048; 374 KB
- KV34 Thutmosis III entrance.JPG 1,536 × 2,048; 824 KB
- KV34 Thutmosis III.JPG 2,048 × 1,536; 405 KB
- KV34.jpg 1,532 × 3,290; 741 KB
- Tal der Könige 08.jpg 4,354 × 3,263; 10.26 MB
- ThebesKV34Staircase.jpg 530 × 800; 101 KB
- Valle de los reyes-2007.JPG 2,304 × 1,560; 2.93 MB