Category:Kenney Gym and Kenney Gym Annex
The Kenney Gym and the Kenney Gym Annex are two buildings located at 1402-06 Springfield Avenue in Urbana, Illinois on the campus on the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Although the two buildings have been connected since 1914, they were built separately.
The one-story building now known as the Kenney Gym Annex, the westernmost of the two structures, was built in 1889-90 as the Military Drill Hall, and was designed by Nathan Clifford Ricker. The interior was converted for use as a gymnasium in 1914, at which time is became known as the Kennry Gym Annex. The conversion preserved the building's large column-free open space; an addition was made to the building in 1918.
The Kenney Gym, the two-story building to the east, was built in 1902 and was designed by Nelson Strong Spencer in the Renaissance Revival style, strongly influenced by Ricker's design for the drill hall. It was originally called the Men's Gymnasium, then was called the Men's Old Gym when Huff Hall opened in 1925. Finally, in 1974, it was named after Harold Eugene "Hek" Kenney, a former UIUC wrestler, coach and administrator.
Media in category "Kenney Gym and Kenney Gym Annex"
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.