Category:LaSalle Hall, Brooklyn
English: LaSalle Hall at 367 Clermont Avenue at the corner of Greene Avenue in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City was built in 1883-87 as the residence of the Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn, and was designed by Patrick Charles Keeley in the Victorian Gothic style. It was intended to house both the Bishop and priests attached to the planned Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception which was to be built in the block bounded by Clermont, Greene, Vanderbilt and Lafayette. The cornerstone for the cathedral was laid, and the walls built to a height of 10 to 20 feet before construction was stopped due to inadequate funds; of the planned complex, only a chapel (no longer extant) and this building were completed. The bishop's residence was moved at some point (it is currently at 241 Clinton Avenue), and the building was used as a Chancery, with church offices and a residence for Brothers. It is now a boys dormitory for Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School next door. (Sources: "Fort Greene Historic District Designation Report" and AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.))
Media in category "LaSalle Hall, Brooklyn"
The following 3 files are in this category, out of 3 total.
- LaSalle Hall 367 Clermont Avenue.jpg 2,649 × 2,191; 1.53 MB
- Loughlin La Salle Hall Clermont Greene Aves winter jeh.jpg 2,301 × 2,300; 671 KB
- Loughlin Lasalle Hall jeh.jpg 3,104 × 3,031; 1.19 MB