Category:La MaMa

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cafè La MaMa (it); La MaMa E.T.C. (Café La MaMa の後身) (ja); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (fr); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (fi); نادى لا ماما التجريبى المسرحى (arz); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (pl); תיאטרון לה מאמא (he); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (nl); Cafè La MaMa (nds); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (tr); Cafè La MaMa (de); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (pt); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (en); کلوپ تئاتر تجربی لا ماما (fa); 拉馬馬實驗劇團 (zh); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (sv) teatro Off-Off-Broadway (it); مسرح في مانهاتن، الولايات المتحدة (ar); US-amerikanisches Theater in Manhattan (de); theater in Manhattan, Verenigde Staten van Amerika (nl) Cafè La MaMa (tr); ラ・ママ実験劇場 (ja); Cafè La MaMa (fr); La MaMa, La MaMa ETC, Cafè La MaMa (pl); ניו יורק (he); Cafè La MaMa (nl); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (nds); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (de); La MaMa, Cafè La MaMa (pt); Cafè La MaMa, Cafe La MaMa (en); La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (it); Cafè La MaMa (fi)
La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club 
La MaMa building.jpg
Upload media
Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg  Wikipedia
Instance oftheatre company,
theater
Location New York City, New York
Founded by
Inception
  • 1961
Date of official opening
  • 1961
official website
40° 43′ 48″ N, 73° 59′ 24″ W
Authority control
Edit infobox data on Wikidata

The building at 74 East 4th Street between 2nd Avenue and the Bowery in the East Village neighborhood of lower Manhattan, New York City, houses the administrative offices and three of the theatres of La MaMa Experimental Theatre Club (La Mama E.T.C.). Their Annex is down the street at 66 4th Street, and rehearsal spaces and other facilities are at 47 Great Jones Street.

The building was constructed in 1873 and was designed by German-born architect August H. Blankenstein for the Aschenbroedel Verein, a German-American musician's society, which occupied the building until 1892. It was then taken over by the Gesangsverein Schillerbund, a German-American singing society, who completely renovated the building and ornamented the facade with German Renaissance Revival and neo-Grec elements, including three busts of German composers above the second floor. From 1895 on, the building was used for a series of dance halls and public meeting halls - in 1910 it was known as Floral Garden Hall. Other uses were the Newsboys' Athletic Club, a laundry and a meatpacking place. La Mama has occupied it since 1969.

The building is located within the East Village/Lower East Side Historic District (Source: "East Village/Lower East Side Historic District Designation Report")

Media in category "La MaMa"

The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.