Category:Law and Grace
Jump to navigation Jump to search
theology topic about God's Law versus the Gospel of Jesus
Law and Grace is an artistic theme contrasting the so-called "Old dispensation" vs. the "New dispensation".
- On the left, is shown the law usually ending in death, represented by Old Testament scenes such as God making the Ten Commandments which are handed to Moses, where Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit, to show Original Sin, the scene of the Bronze Serpent is also shown, sometimes in the painting a man is shown being chained into Hell by the Devil and Death while the prophets are shown holding the law because the man upheld to the old law.
- The other side shows grace where death is defeated, depicting a tomb opening symbolizing death, a prophet usually points to the side of the law, while John the Baptist points to the right side, where Jesus triumphs over death by the crucifixion and resurrection. As a sign of salvation.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Law and Grace"
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- Gesetz und Gnade Moelln St Nicolai.JPG 2,304 × 1,536; 698 KB
- Bible of Christian III 1550.jpg 1,931 × 2,707; 1.43 MB
- Biblia brzeska.jpg 500 × 724; 366 KB
- Cranachbibel Gesetz und Gnade.jpg 902 × 1,368; 193 KB
- Dietrich Mölleri epitaaf.jpg 1,800 × 2,400; 2.43 MB
- LubeckBible1533.jpg 1,264 × 1,712; 2.09 MB
- Pierre Reymond - Oval Stand for Ewer - Allegory of the Redemption - Walters 44357.jpg 1,800 × 1,431; 1.41 MB
- Peter Rodelstedt - Allegorie auf die Erlösung (1552).jpg 4,153 × 2,969; 2.77 MB
- Franz Timmermann - Sündenfall und Erlösung (ca.1540).jpg 952 × 899; 732 KB
- Timmermann Law and Grace.jpg 1,445 × 1,822; 980 KB