Mithila painting introduced by King Janak of Mithila
Madhubani painting or Mithila Painting is a style of Indian painting, practiced in the Mithila region of Bihar state, India. The origins of Madhubani painting are shrouded in antiquity. Tradition states that this style of painting originated at the time of the Ramayana, when King Janak commissioned artists to do paintings at the time of marriage of his daughter, Sita, with Rama.
Madhubani painting has been done traditionally by the women of villages around the present town of Madhubani (the literal meaning of which is forests of honey) and other areas of Mithila. The painting was traditionally done on freshly plastered mud wall of huts, but now it is also done on cloth, hand-made paper and canvas. As Madhubani painting has remained confined to a compact geographical area and the skills have been passed on through centuries, the content and the style have largely remained the same. Madhubani paintings also use two dimensional imagery, and the colors used are derived from plants. Ochre and lampblack are also used for reddish brown and black respectively. Green from the leaves of the apple tree; white from rice powder; orange from palasha flowers. The colours are applied flat with no shading and no empty space is left.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Media in category "Madhubani painting"
The following 16 files are in this category, out of 16 total.
- Devi4.jpg 1,080 × 1,369; 127 KB
- First night.png 1,825 × 1,361; 6.28 MB
- Framed Madhubani art in a shop.jpg 1,024 × 679; 566 KB
- God Vishnu in Fish Avtaar.jpg 1,988 × 1,268; 674 KB
- Jadupatua paintings and Madhubani paintings.JPG 4,320 × 3,240; 4.39 MB
- Kohbar of Mithila.png 844 × 607; 1.14 MB
- Krishna & Radha made by Sita devi.jpg 600 × 453; 216 KB
- Madhubani Mahavidyas.jpg 623 × 850; 297 KB
- Madhubani mural and Terracotta figurine at Sanskriti Museum.JPG 960 × 1,280; 425 KB
- Madhubani Painting Exhibition.jpg 2,592 × 1,456; 1.52 MB
- Madhubani painting.jpg 4,288 × 2,848; 3.1 MB
- Madhubani.jpg 1,024 × 683; 152 KB
- Mcm Salle exposition.JPG 4,896 × 3,672; 6.06 MB
- Mithila Painting artist - Flickr - askmeaks.jpg 1,024 × 781; 467 KB