|Category Malayalam language on sister projects:|
Malayalam (മലയാളം IAST:malayāḷaṁ) is one of the four major en:Dravidian languages of South India. It is one of the 22 en:languages with official status in India, with official language status in the state of Kerala, spoken by around 37 million people. Malayalam is also widely used in the union territories of Lakshadweep, Mahé and Puducherry, the Kanyakumari district of Tamil Nadu, and Dakshina Kannada and Kodagu districts of Karnataka, and on Andaman/Nicobar islands. It is also used by a large population of Indian expatriates living around the globe and in the Persian Gulf, United States, Singapore, Australia, and Europe. Malayalam and Tamil are the closest relatives, which is not disputed by scholars. Malayalam is speculated to be a daughter language of Middle Tamil in the 6th century, of which Modern Tamil was also derived.
This category has the following 20 subcategories, out of 20 total.
- ► Malayali people (11 C, 3 F)
- ► Cochin Jews (5 C, 11 F)
- ► Malayalam-language films (14 F)
- ► Malayalam grammar (16 F)
- ► Images with Malayalam description (183 F)
- ► Kerala State Institute of Children's Literature (2 C, 3 F)
- ► Malayalam pronunciation (2 C, 15 F)
- ► Malayalam script (4 C, 50 F)
- ► Malayalam Wikipedia (16 C, 3 F)