Category:Market Keeper's House, Newcastle upon Tyne

From Wikimedia Commons, the free media repository
Jump to: navigation, search
Object location 54° 58′ 03.26″ N, 1° 37′ 16.35″ W Kartographer map based on OpenStreetMap. View all coordinates using: OpenStreetMap - Google Maps - Google Earth - Proximityrama info
English: The Market Keeper's House is a small Grade II listed building in the city of Newcastle upon Tyne, England. Built in 1842 by John Dobson, it was originally the office (downstairs) and accommodation (upstairs) of a cattle market keeper and toll collector, but it now sits in the middle of Times Square, the interior courtyard of the Centre for Life science village.
The house was built on the site of a cattle market outside the medieval walls of the city, as part of an expansion the market to cater for growth in the city's population and to compete with Morpeth Mart, Northumberland. The fortunes of the market were further boosted by the opening of the Central Station immediately to the east, in 1850. As the market declined in the 1960s, the building was occupied by other commercial tennants, before lying empty. When the area was cleared and redeveloped in the 1990s to create the Centre for Life, the building was retained and refurbished, gaining another tennant in 2001, design agency The Roundhouse. They moved out in November 2011 to larger premises.