Maximilian Joseph, Duke in Bavaria (4 October 1808 – 15 November 1888) was a member of the House of Wittelsbach and a promoter of Bavarian folk-music.
Maximilian Joseph married Princess Ludovika of Bavaria (1808-1892), who was also his cousin. They had ten children:
- Category:Ludwig Wilhelm, Duke in Bavaria ("Louis") (June 21, 1831 - November 6, 1920)
- Wilhelm Karl, Duke in Bavaria (December 24, 1832 - February 13, 1833)
- Caroline Therese Helene, Duchess in Bavaria ("Nene") (April 4, 1834 - May 16, 1890), who married Maximilian Anton Lamoral Hereditary Prince of Thurn and Taxis
- Empress Elisabeth of Austria ("Sisi") (1837-1898), who married Franz Josef of Austria and became the empress of Austria and queen of Hungary
- Duke Karl-Theodor in Bavaria "Gackl" (1839-1909), who married twice. First to Sophie of Saxony in 1865 and secondly to Maria Josepha of Portugal in 1874
- He and his first wife had one daughter:
- He and his second wife had five children, amongst who:
- Marie Sophie Amalie, Duchess in Bavaria (October 4, 1841 - January 19, 1925). Married Francis II of the Two Sicilies.
- Duchess Mathilde Ludovika in Bavaria (September 30, 1843 - June 18, 1925). Married en:Lodovico, Count of Trani, son of Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies.
- Maximilian, Duke in Bavaria (December 8, 1845 - December 8, 1845)
- Sophie Charlotte Augustine, Duchess in Bavaria (1847-1897), who was for a time engaged to Ludwig II of Bavaria, and later married Ferdinand Philippe Marie, duc d'Alençon (1844-1910), son of Louis, Duke of Nemours
- Maximilian Emanuel, Duke in Bavaria "Mapperl" (December 7, 1849 - June 12, 1893)