Jump to navigation Jump to search
village in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK
|Location||Aberdeenshire, Fetteresso, United Kingdom|
English: Newtonhill is a medium population village of 3,110 (2004 estimate) in Aberdeenshire, located between Southern Portlethen, Northern Muchalls and the larger Stonehaven (pop. 10,160, estimate). The village, originally called Skateraw, has two commercial outlets; a convenience store and a pharmacy, the pharmacy previously being a bakery. There are also two pubs in the village, Quoiters and The Newton Arms. Local events centre around the Community Centre The Bettridge Centre. Historically, there was a railway station in the older quarters of Newtonhill but this has now become defunct, operating as a signalling station only. Skateraw became most noticed historically for its fishing industry; the old smoke house is still visible in the lower village, though this is also not in operation. Newtonhill today is accessed by the A90 road and functions primarily as a commuter town to Aberdeen and other business hubs in the Aberdeenshire area. Newtonhill also has a great scenic views of the cliffs onlookin onto the pebble shore, where fishing still accustomed to many. Newtonhill has a successful Boys Brigade chess team which has won the Scottish tournament many times and have won the British grand finals the 2nd most out of all teams.
Media in category "Newtonhill"
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- Boat at Newtonhill Harbour - geograph.org.uk - 94041.jpg 640 × 480; 128 KB
- Newtonhill Signal Box - geograph.org.uk - 96199.jpg 640 × 427; 85 KB
- Newtonhill village in the snow.jpg 4,251 × 1,245; 6.4 MB
- Railway Line north of Newtonhill - geograph.org.uk - 96168.jpg 640 × 427; 102 KB
- South from the Cran Hill - geograph.org.uk - 96187.jpg 640 × 427; 52 KB
- Winter Sunset over Newtonhill - geograph.org.uk - 341348.jpg 640 × 480; 82 KB
- Double Rainbow over the Railway - geograph.org.uk - 58001.jpg 640 × 427; 69 KB