Type of Japanese sword
|Subclass of||Japanese sword|
Odachi is a large two-handed traditionally made Japanese sword (nihonto) used by the samurai class of feudal Japan. Odachi is the same type of sword as nodachi (field sword). A very long and heavy sword which was used from ancient times by very strong men. The limit of extra length of this kind of sword in comparison with the sword ordinarily used by the same man is 25 per cent, so that if one's ordinary sword was 90 cm (3 feet) long, the Odachi would be 115 cm (3 feet 9 inches). It is carried over the left shoulder with a narrow belt girdled from the left shoulder to the right side of the waist, so that the hilt will be over the left should and the edge of the blade will be to the left.
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Koshirae (odachi) (6 F)
Media in category "Odachi"
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
- Hiyoshimaru meets Koroku on Yahagibashi, showing nodachi or odachi.jpg 781 × 725; 594 KB
- Hiyoshimaru meets Koroku on Yahagibashi.jpg 1,537 × 765; 1.01 MB
- Nodachi.jpg 1,000 × 750; 301 KB
- Odachi-Masayoshi-at-Yahiko-Shrine.png 1,700 × 932; 801 KB
- Samurai wearing a nodachi (field sword).png 650 × 793; 504 KB
- Samurai with Odachi sword on horse.jpg 1,600 × 1,524; 2.87 MB