Category:Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral, Brooklyn
Our Lady of Lebanon Roman Catholic Cathedral, at 113 Remsen Street on the corner of Henry Street in the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York City. was built in 1844-46 as the Congregational Church of the Pilgrims, and was designed by Richard Upjohn in the Romanesque Revival style. A rectory, designed by Leopold Eidlitz, was added in 1869. The Church of the Pilgrims merged with the Plymouth Church in 1934 to form Plymouth Church of the Pilgrims (now reverted to being simply Plymouth Church), and the building was taken over by the Lebanese Catholic (Maronite Rite) parish. The Church of the Pilgrims took with them the Tiffany windows and the doors of the church. The doors were replaced with bronze doors salvaged from the SS Normandie, which caught fire and sank at dock in the Hudson River in 1942 when it was being outfitted as a troop ship. (Sources: AIA Guide to NYC (5th ed.) and Inside the Apple (2009))
Media in category "Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral, Brooklyn"
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Lebanon Cathedral door BH jeh.jpg 3,450 × 2,748; 1.72 MB
- Lebanon Cathedral tower BH jeh.jpg 2,042 × 3,979; 1.91 MB
- Normandie doors.jpg 450 × 600; 97 KB
- Our Lady of Lebanon Cathedral Brooklyn on Remsen Street.jpg 1,963 × 2,172; 1.24 MB