Category:Overseas countries and territories of the European Union
Two parts of the treaty of the European Community deal with special relationships: Article 299 which sets out the territories to which the treaty applies, supplemented by the accession treaties; and Articles 182-188 and Annex II on association with the non-European countries and territories which have special relations with the member states.
The overseas countries and territories (OCTs) are 25 countries or territories located outside mainland Europe — essentially small islands – constitutionally tied with one of the following Member States: Denmark, France, the Netherlands and the United Kingdom, and that have a special relationship with one of the Member States of the European Community (their total number have changed over time due to changes in their legal status within their country):
- 1 with Denmark (Greenland),
- 6 with France (the French Southern and Antarctic Lands, New Caledonia, and 5 inhabited French Overseas collectivities that are not departments, except Saint-Martin which kept its OMR status)
- 6 with the Netherlands (all territories of the Dutch Caribbean which have been part of the former Netherlands Antillas for some time during their history),
- 12 with the United Kingdom (including the 6 territories of the British Caribbean, plus 3 other inhabited territories, and 3 non-permanently habited territories), and
- The OCT status of the British Sovereign Bases in Cyprus (Akrotiri and Dhekelia) is disputed but follows a special arrangement with the Republic of Cyprus and the European Union.
- Gibraltar is also a British Overseas Territory, but it is not an OCT as it is an OMR within the European Union.
- Mayotte had this OCT status, but after it became a French department it became an outermost region (OMR) within the European Union.
- Saint-Martin (French part) remains an OMR within the European Union, as it did not opt for this OCT status.
- Saint-Barthélemy was temporarily an OMR within the European Union, after it was split from Guadeloupe, but now has opted for this OCT status.
- 22 of the 25 existing OCTs are now members of the OCT Association website (all the 21 OCTs with permanent civil residents and a local government, plus the French Southern and Austral Lands), but the 3 British OCTs without permanent civil residents (the British Antarctic Territory, the British Indian Ocean Territory, and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands) did not join it.
Cette catégorie comprend 13 sous-catégories, dont les 13 ci-dessous.
- ► Falkland Islands (31 C, 2 P, 23 F)
- ► French Southern and Antarctic Lands (8 C, 2 P, 2 F)
- ► Greenland (16 C, 2 P, 452 F)
- ► Pitcairn Islands (8 C, 1 P, 16 F)
- ► Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha (14 C, 1 P, 25 F)
- ► Saint-Barthélemy (10 C, 5 F)
- ► Saint-Pierre and Miquelon (9 C, 1 P, 5 F)