Jump to navigation Jump to search
English: Palakkad (Malayalam:പാലക്കാട് ജില്ല), Tamil:பாலக்காடு மாவட்டம்) or Palghat is one of the 14 districts of Kerala state in South India. The city of Palakkad is the district headquarters. Palakkad is bordered on the northwest by the Malappuram district, on the southwest by the Thrissur district and on the east by Coimbatore district of Tamil Nadu. The district is nicknamed "the granary of Kerala". In earlier times Palakkad was also known as Palakkattussery. Some etymologists trace the word "Palakkad" from the word Palai nilam, which means "dry lands". The commonly held belief, however, is that the name is a fusion of two Malayalam words, Pala, a tree (Alstonia scholaris) that is found abundantly in Palakkad, and Kadu, which means "forest".
district of Kerala, India
|Instance of||district of India|
This category has the following 9 subcategories, out of 9 total.
- ► Buildings in Palakkad district (18 C, 15 F)
- ► Culture of Palakkad district (4 C, 2 F)
- ► Economy of Palakkad district (1 C, 1 F)
- ► Education in Palakkad district (5 C)
- ► Geography of Palakkad district (36 C, 6 F)
- ► Nature of Palakkad district (13 C, 1 F)
- ► People of Palakkad district (14 C, 28 F)
- ► Transport in Palakkad district (6 C, 2 F)
- ► Populated places in Palakkad district (38 C)