Category:Park Avenue Tunnel
The Park Avenue Tunnel, at one time called the Murray Hill Tunnel, was built in 1834 as an open cut to carry New York & Harlem Railroad trains, and later their streetcars. It was roofed over in 1850. After the construction of Grand Central Terminal, the tracks were removed and the tunnel was used for vehicular traffic. Prior to August 2008, it carried two lanes of traffic, one northbound and one southbound, between East 33rd Street and East 40th Streets, but today it carries only one northbound lane, for reasons of pedestrian safety. At the end of the tunnel, a ramp leads up to the Park Avenue Viaduct which travels over 42nd Street, around Grand Central and the Met Life Building, through the New York Central Building and down onto East 46th Street. Drivers may also choose not to take the ramp and go down Park Avenue at street level to 42nd Street.
Media in category "Park Avenue Tunnel"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.