Category:Philadelphia Bank Building
The Philadelphia Bank Building at 421 Chestnut Street between S. 4th and 5th Streets in the Old City neighborhood of Philadelphia was built in 1857-59 for the Bank of Pennsylvania, and was designed by John M. Gries in a very ornate version of the Italianate style, modeled on the Renaissance palaces of Venice. When Bank of Pennsylvania failed during the Panic of 1857, the building was only half built, and it was finished by the Philadelphia Bank, which took ownership. Today it is known simply as "The Bank Building" and is used for offices. The building originally had a banking hall in the rear that was topped with a cast-iron dome, but this was taken down in 1892-93. Other alterations were made in 1900, designed by Theophilus Chandler. The front door and window grils are also cast-iron, and were manufactured by H. C. Oram & Company (Sources: Philadelphia Architecture: A Guide to the City (2nd ed.), Architecture in Philadelphia: A Guide and historical marker on site)
Media in category "Philadelphia Bank Building"
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.